“I believe that being Happy is the only important thing. Happiness, Simple as a glass of chocolate” (Joanne Harris, Chocolat) and ofcourse, these were pure joy. I can say one thing for sure, a woman needs her chocolate because without it every emotion that she is feeling is incomplete. When I am happy, I want my chocolate, when I am sad, I want a big dollop of Nutella, it is just therapeutic and when I am emotional or angry I just have to have my chocolate. Don’t get me wrong but chocolate just has a warm and embracing feel to it which seems to understand just about every mood swing I experience and to top it all off Nutella just takes the crown. I think when it comes to Nutella the process of giving is without limits as Dave Barry says, “your hand and your mouth agreed many years ago, that, as far as chocolate is concerned, there is no need to involve your brain”.
These shot glass desserts are exuberant. Yes! “though they maybe little but they are fierce”. The punch of flavour from the Nutella Cream and roasted Oreos with a banana hidden under each layer, these will without a doubt fill you with euphoria. I never knew harmonizing three of my most favourite things will result in the sound of music. Believe you me, one spoon of this and it will captivate your mind and heart. We all know that feeling when something gives us immense pleasure we tend to close our eyes and just want to live fully in that short-span moment. These Nutella Shots is that exact ecstacy.
When I was assembling these, my son kept saying how small these are and that he would want more than one glass once they are ready to eat. I will be honest for a while I thought how would these be enough for a person and perhaps I need to make two shot glasses for each person but I was wrong; this one shot glass dessert is extremely fulfilling and even if you have more than one of these succulent shots, please rememeber Lora Brody’s words, “don’t wreck a sublime chocolate experience by feeling guilty”. These are so lavish people will think you are profuse in hospitality.
Nutella, banana, cream and oreo really are the best of friends, a friendship you can enjoy in its full bloom and they sing in sweet acoustics and if singing was a colour, it would’ve been the colour of chocolate awakening your joy and sensuality.
Just, looking at these gives you the sense of warmth and affability. They are super easy to put together, with little effort and little ingredients yet the end result is extravagant, sweet, creamy and crunchy alltogther. Trust me when I say, you will come back to these time and again, especially when you want to impress your dining lavishness.
Just a final few notes, if you want to add strawberries to this instead of the banana, by all means you can. Also, it’s not necessary that you make this in shot glasses, it can be made in a trifle bowl just as easily. Furthermore, I pan roasted the oreo crumbs to make them crunchy but if you are not a fan of crunch, there is no need to roast the crumbs and keep them non-crunchy.
I will leave you, to make this dessert, with this excerpt from Neil Gaman’s book “Coraline” –
Coraline opened the box of chocolates. The dog looked at them longingly.
“Would you like one?” she asked the little dog.
“Yes, please,” whispered the dog. “Only not toffee ones. They make me drool.”
“I thought chocolates weren’t very good for dogs,” she said, remembering something Miss Forcible had once told her.
“Maybe where you come from,” whispered the little dog. “Here, it’s all we eat”.
20 Oreos powdered
4 tbsp melted butter
1 cup Whipping Cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp Icing sugar
2 pack Cream Cheese (8 oz each)
1/2 cup Nutella
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 bananas/1 pack strawberries
- Grind the Oreos to crumble in the food processor and add the melted butter to it and blend again. The crumbs will become moist.
- Pan roast the crumbs for 4-5 minutes (if you prefer them non-crunchy then add them without roasting). Keep them aside.
- Prepared the Nutella Cream by whipping the cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Heat up the Nutella for 30 seconds in the microwave to loosen it up. Add this to the cream cheese.
- Add the cream and vanilla essence alongside and beat with the electric mixer until fully incorporated.
- Beat until the mixture becomes frothy and has risen in volume.
- Prepare the Cream mix by beating together cream, vanilla essence and sugar together.
- Do not over mix this as the cream will split.
- Slice the bananas.
- Add the oreo crumbs at the bottom and using a piping bag or a spoon pour the Nutella Cream Mix over the bottom layer.
- Top this with sliced banana and repeat the layer again.
- Dollop over whipped cream to finish.
- garnish with oreo crumbs and banana slices.
- Chill in the refrigerator for atleast 2 hours before serving.
Happy eating –