Cooking is all about people. No matter where you come from, food is something that will always be universal. It knows no race, colour or borders. It spurs innovation and creativity and gives birth to newfangled flamboyant trends in universal gastronomy and as Julia Child stated, “in cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude”.
For so long, the only time I ever ate a chicken Fajita was from a pre-packed ready to cook Fajita box. The first time, I remember, when I had my very first Fajita was right after my son was born. I came home with my new born, to this alluring smoky fragrance coming from the kitchen. Yes! my older brother was in the kitchen making Fajitas. I still remember the smell of the dish just captivated me, and for the first time in my life, I fell in love with Mexican food just as I had fallen in love with my new born, swept off my feet. I think I ate 6 tortilla chicken Fajita wraps that day altogether, well hey! I had just given birth and as my son says it well, I had turned into a hungry-hungry-hippo. Nonetheless, this indigenous recipe from Mexico has a part of my heart that holds one of my life’s most cherished memory.
I had experimented with the recipe a few times and I was eager to know what the spices really are in the spice mix that make the flavour so uber. The answer to that is one little spice, Smoked Paprika. This one spice gives the dish it’s x-factor and the creaminess from the avocado mushed up with the tanginess of the salsa and coriander just takes this dish to a whole new level of scrumptiousness.
This dish a rainbow of flavours and colours with the distinctive taste that we all just can’t seem to get enough of and let’s face it, who doesn’t love a good Fajita dinner.
This is no doubt a gorgeous recipe so “pull up a chair, take a taste, come join us. Life is so endlessly delicious” (Ruth Rachel)
Fajita Spice Mix –
1/2 tsp – Garlic Powder
1 tsp – Onion Powder
1/2 tsp – Oregano
1/2 tsp – Cayenne Pepper
1/2 tsp – Cumin Powder
1/2 tsp – Coriander Powder
1/4 tsp – Clove Powder
1 tsp – Chilli Powder
1 1/4 tsp – Salt
2 tsp – Smoked Paprika
1 1/4 tsp – Brown Sugar
Veggies and Meat –
500g Chicken Boneless Strips
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Yellow Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Red Onion (optional)
1 Brown Onion
1/2 Corainder Bunch
4 tbsp Oil
8 tortilla wraps
Ingredients for Salsa Sauce –
10 cherry tomatoes
1 Lime (juiced)
1 Red Chilli
handful of fresh coriander
- Mix all the spices listed under Fajita Spice Mix and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chicken strips to it.
- Cook the chicken until it is done.
- Add the spice mix to the chicken.
- Dice all the vegetables lengthwise and add them to the chicken along with the spice mix.
- Toss together and let it steam for t minutes and turn off the heat.
- Chop the cherry tomatoes roughly and throw them in a bowl.
- Chop together the red chilli and the coriander bunch together into a coarse paste on your chopping board. Add it to the bowl.
- Add juice from one lime.
- Cut and scoop the avocado out and throw it in the bowl.
- Take a fork and just mash all the salsa mix together.
- Heat the tortilla wraps for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Serve on the table with Chicken Fajita, salsa, coriander and an avocado sliced for individual DIY servings.
Happy foodieating —